Thursday, August 14, 2008

Am I Prepared...

We've been struggling with Kezia the past couple of months. You all know that she is pretty independent and fairly strong-willed but she is really pushing her boundaries - and my patience. I am at a loss at how to discipline her and find that most days I totally lose my cool. I've been praying that God would give me wisdom and discernment on this. I feel tired, mean and a nag. So this morning as I was praying for W/D, patience and for Kezia to have a good day, I read My Utmost For His Highest for Aug 14th. It is titled 'Chastening'. Great - here comes some wonderful insight on how to discipline my daughter!! Well - I was sort of right. (you can see where this is going, can't you =). I am God's daughter - and this was for me. "Despise not the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of Him" Hebrews 12:5 spoke to my heart. In my attempts to correct Kezia all I really seem to be doing is showing my lack of discipline and need of correction. Kezia is learning from me how to lose patience, peace, and purpose.

"Am I prepared to let God grip me by His power and do a work in me
that is worthy of Himself? Sanctification is not my idea of what
I want God to do for me, sanctification is God's idea
of what He wants to do for me, and He has to get me into
the attitude of mind and spirit where at any cost
I will let Him sanctify me wholly"
OK - ouch! I know that it is my responsibility to train/teach my children about God, love, integrity, etc. I think that God is showing me, through this challenge with Kez, my need for Him to train/teach me. I am the little child, wanting to go my way and do my thing. Help me Father to have the attitude "at any cost" and let you guide me, and chasten, as needed. Help me to learn from you so that I can teach my little ones. Help me to not be so hard on Kezia - afterall, you show me grace, patience, and love all the time. Thank you God that your mercies are new everyday!

4 comments:

Kristi said...

I feel like I have been learning so much about God and about myself and about my relationship with Him in these years of having young children. We truly are toddlers - selfish, naive, lacking in understanding, dependent, emotional, trying so hard to be independent but often running back to safety - in a relationship with the King. What amazing patience He has with us! He is not trying to frustrate us; we are just not yet made to understand His ways. That same statement is true of us as parents with our children. Bless your journey and your relationship with both your Father and your daughter.

Unknown said...

Great thoughts, Suzy. I so appreciate them and your heart in sharing them. Much love to you, friend.

Cheryl Russell said...

Great thoughts Suzy. I will keep you in my prayers. What a blessing for your children to have a mother who goes to God for guidance!

Cheryl Russell said...

P.S. I like the new colors on your blog!