Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Remembering


I'm in a little funk today. Have been most of this month. July is emotional for me. I got married in July, had my first child in July. But right now I'm thinking about two very influentional women in my life - my two best friends who passed away in July: my sister Karen and my Grandma Maxine. I was hoping that blogging would help release some of the sadness, and I guess it does, but tears stream down my face as I type.
My sister and I did not always see eye to eye and were opposites in many ways. But I knew she was always there for me, taking care of me. She could make me laugh like no other person - and cry as well. She gave me my first black eye, taught me how to shoot a basket, how to swim, how to open Christmas presents - but the most important thing she taught me was how to have a relationship with Jesus. She taught me that he was real and I could talk to him anytime I wanted to. She was strong, independent, caring, generous and full of life. I miss her.
My Grandma was just the most special lady you'd ever want to meet. She stood at four feet eleven inches but always appeared taller. She was classy, a smart dresser, loved music and taught me how to do the Charleston. I get my love of dancing from her. She and I would stay up late at night playing cards, telling secrets and giggling. She was a free spirit and a wise woman who taught me to look on the positive side of life, to keep smiling, and never give up. She was 93 when she passed away and I was blessed to be there with her. I read to her Psalms 23 and held her hand as she went to meet Jesus. I miss her.
Losing loved ones stinks! But I was so blessed to be touched by these two wonderful women. Their memories live on in me and I hope to pass them on to my children. I think I'll just go and have a good cry and miss my two best friends.

6 comments:

Cheryl Russell said...

Suzy,
Thanks for sharing this! I am praying for you as you remember loved ones.

“He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. He determines the number of the stars and calls them each by name. Psalm 147:3-4

Kristi said...

Love you much, friend.

Unknown said...

Hey Suzy. I love you lots and I'm glad that the remembrance is sweet. I know that you are going to pass on an amazing legacy to your girls. You are such an inspiration to me as well.

brenda said...

Suz, I felt privileged to get to know the special women in your life. Praying for you...

Unknown said...

Saying a prayer for you tonight.

suzylu said...

thanks friends for your prayers!